Our class will be learning how to model division, and use the division algorithm to divide up to 3-digit dividends by 1-digit divisors. The class will learn different methods to divide, including using models, repeated subtraction, and the standard division algorithm. We will also learn to divide with remainders.
Our homework will provide practice modeling division and using the division algorithm. There are twelve sections in this chapter.
Important Chapter Vocabulary:
1. Compatible Numbers; Numbers that are easy to compute mentally.
2. Multiple; A number that is the product of a given number and a counting number.
3. Partial Quotient; A method of dividing in which multiples of the divisor are subtracted from the dividend and then the quotients are added together.
4. Remainder; The amount left over when a number cannot be divided equally.
5. Dividend; The number that is to be divided in a division problem.
6. Divisor; The number that divides the dividend.