In chapter 5, we will be working with factors, multiples, and patterns. The students will study and learn to find factors and multiples and work with number patterns. There are six sections in this chapter.
Important Chapter Vocabulary
1. Common factor; A number that is a factor of two or more numbers.
2. Common Multiple; A number that is a multiple of two or more numbers.
3. Composite Number; A number that has more than two factors.
4. Divisible; A number is divisible by another number if the quotient is a counting number and the remainder is zero.
5. Factor; A number multiplied by another number to find a product.
6. Pattern; An ordered set of numbers or objects.
7. Prime Number; A number that has exactly two factors, one and itself.
8. Term; Each number or object in a pattern.
Number Divisibility Rule
2 The number is even.
3 The sum of the digits
is divisible by 3.
5 The last digit is 0 or 5.
6 The number is even
and divisible by 3.
9 The sum of the digits
is divisible by 9.
Monday, November 7, 2016
Our class will be learning how to model division, and use the division algorithm to divide up to 3-digit dividends by 1-digit divisors. The class will learn different methods to divide, including using models, repeated subtraction, and the standard division algorithm. We will also learn to divide with remainders.
Our homework will provide practice modeling division and using the division algorithm. There are twelve sections in this chapter.
Important Chapter Vocabulary:
1. Compatible Mumbers; Numbers that are easy to compute mentally.
2. Multiple; A number that is the product of a given number and a counting number.
3. Partial Quotient; A method of dividing in which multiples of the divisor are subtracted from the dividend and then the quotients are added together.
4. Remainder; The amount left over when a number cannot be divided equally.
5. Dividend; The number that is to be divided in a division problem.
6. Divisor; The number that divides the dividend.